Gay Head Lighthouse

A landscape view of gay head lighthouse
The Gay Head Lighthouse was built in 1856 in Martha’s Vineyard. The lighthouse has been used for years to guide sailors and also has had a long history of Native American keepers.
Due to the erosion of the cliff face and the town was able to acquire ownership of the lighthouse, it was decided that the lighthouse needed to be relocated.
Due to the money raised and also the danger to the structure, the project was approved with documentation of the original location and information at the original location placed down.
So What?
This is an example of the community coming together and preserving a locally important structure. This is also an example of documentation being used to preserve the history of the structure because even though the structure wasn’t destroyed it was still documented in its original location.