St. Elizabeth opened in 1855 for members of the military and D.C. residents. The hospital was focused on mental health and was the first federal mental health hospital in America.
The General Services Administration (GSA) was in charge of trying to upgrade the area and make more space for employees of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) headquarters. The area they were tasked with is filled with historic properties and also sections from the NPS.
The process was successful with multiple Memorandum of Agreements executed over 8 years under the Programmatic Agreement (PA). The area is now home to the LEED gold U.S. Coast Guard Headquarters.
This is an example of updating an area to fit modern needs and repurposing parts of historic structures instead of demolishing them.